It’s been 10 years, since I became a dedicated runner. I went from being unable to go more than half a mile without stopping, to four months later completing my first ever marathon in under four hours. The lure of running along the Champs was highly motivating.

The changes I’ve experienced over the last month feel remarkably similar. As I check off the milestones I’ve passed week by week, I find myself in a place I would not have thought possible only a month ago. I’m sure I’m not alone in this. On the one hand it feels as though the world is on the brink of entering an era reminiscent of some dystopian sci-fi movie, on the other the opportunities to redefine education in exciting and creative ways, stretch out before us. With challenge comes opportunity, with barriers come great leaps forward.

We’re in this for the long haul, that much is clear. The first few weeks were a sprint, but the finishing line is now much further ahead. It’s time to pace ourselves, ensure we refuel (learn), and keep an even gait (plan). This is a marathon, but not the typical one, where you gradually find yourself alone, as one by one each person moves into their own world, focused on making it through to that final 0.2 of a mile (which bright spark decided a marathon should be 26.2 miles long??). While this is indeed a marathon, I know I’m not alone. We’re all in this together.

So, although I didn’t train for this particular race, I know I’ll be fine. And this time, at least my feet won’t be so sore.