Runaway train never going back, Wrong way on a one way track,
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I’m neither here nor there.” (‘Runaway Train by Soul Asylum)

That’s kind of what the overall vibe feels like right now. For me, the beginning of the week began gently enough; was I covering my eyes and not wanting to see the warning signs? From the perspective of the end of the week, I’m no longer sure. Being an optimist has both advantages and drawbacks.

(Photo by Stecanella on Unsplash)

Earlier in the week I realized how much I have learnt over the last six weeks.

I have learnt: how to use and teach the basics of BlueJeans; more about Blackboard Learn and how to use it to engage students; and what Kaltura is and how to upload videos to Blackboard. I’ve learned that I can engage with new technology and have fun doing so. I feel more comfortable in both navigating new tools and also in ‘going with the flow’ when I’m unsure. I also became acutely aware this week that probably the greatest challenge facing many people right now is fear.

There are only a handful of other occasions in my life that have had such steep learning curves, but obviously never at the same time as the world dealing with a global pandemic. While I do not have the stresses associated with beginning a new term of teaching next week, I empathize with my colleagues. We are all trying to navigate the shifting sands of the so-called ‘new normal.’

By Wednesday the tension and concern was palpable through the airwaves. Was it coincidence that it marked six weeks since face-to-face teaching stopped and everyone was thrust into the land of digital learning, willing or not? Thursday was an intense day of offering both technical support, pedagogical suggestions and lending an empathetic ear to the understandable anxiety and stress of those who will be thrust into teaching in a few days time, having had only a couple of weeks to prepare. In my experience, most instructors want to do a good job. Anxiety expressed around having to learn new technology and ways of engaging with students with so much uncertainty and no clear ending point, are likely for many, the superficial manifestations of the underlying emotion of fear; and fear is a powerful force.

While I feel good that I’ve been able to learn what I have, I know I’m still in the first few miles of the marathon; there is much new learning to come. Along with continuing to hone my technological skills, I am reminded this week that most importantly I need to read the energy of my colleagues, decipher the emotional drivers and support them where they are. I have been reminded that while passion about what I do is important, right now empathy is even more so.

There are many events in life that challenge us, provide opportunities for us to grow and learn, often learning more about ourselves than anything else. This is one such time. Such transitions are beautiful but rarely without pain. That said, unlike the song, I don’t think we’re on the wrong track, and while many instructors might be feeling, “neither here nor there,” I hope that with continued support, we can get them to where they want to be.