One would think that, ‘thinking too much,’ would be more of a positive and in most situations, that’s likely true. This week however, I was reminded of my natural tendency to overthink; and in my efforts to consider every possible permutation of a situation and likely outcome, I ended up making a fairly simple task, far more complex than it needed to be. Given the heightened level of ongoing stress of current times that none of us can escape – myself included – that’s not a useful place to end up.

I was glad therefore, to be reminded at the end of a week of attending the fabulous Course Sprint sessions (I love any idea of ‘running’), of the advantages of ‘keeping it simple.’ While colleagues grapple with coming to terms with the ‘new normal’ of flexible learning in digital environments, and we adapt our support to their needs, it was fabulous to hear their insights and main take-aways  from the sessions. It was clear that the message that simplicity is the best solution was gratefully received. I guess I’m not the only one who might be ‘over thinking’ these days! This, along with the heartfelt recognition the value of connection with colleagues, and the understanding that we are all in ‘this’ together (whatever this ‘is’ or ‘becomes’), made me think of the following words of Lao Tsu:

“I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These are your greatest treasures.”

It gives me goosebumps to think that this wisdom, travelling through time from over two thousand years ago reflects so eloquently what we need in a digital age of learning; treasures indeed.