Time is strange. On the one hand, it seems like a blink of an eye since the world ‘shut down,’ this time a couple of years ago. On the other, when it did, it felt like time had stopped, despite the onslaught of change. Perspectives are deceptive.

That’s a good reminder for anyone in the world of intercultural. I’ve been rethinking the draft intercultural mission and vision work I did and with the help of colleagues, am working on the next draft. It will be very different from the first and that’s okay. Such documents are meant to be alive, dynamic, and constantly reviewed.

In finalizing some resources for a course, with sections on Intercultural Fluency and also Indigenous Perspectives. I found a video called, The Indian Act explained.

As I watched this, I tried to picture the myriad of implications and the impacts of this Act that directly affect so many today and particularly in education. I realize that as I develop anything intercultural, I need to keep deepening my understanding of Indigenous perspectives and the history of Indigenous people in Canada. 

As I continue to support two of our exchange students, it’s so interesting to hear their experiences both of being a student in their home context – teachers in training – and what they are learning as good teaching practices. They are trying to find their way through a maze of contradictions which is part of teaching; a constantly changing teaching context, balancing the ‘ideal’ with what is achievable in any given context. Their experiences here in Canada are tangibly different from what they are used to and offer equal yet differing challenges. I’m looking forward to seeing how they approach teaching about group work and group dynamics.

I’m also looking forward to taking part in a Program Review as an ‘internal’ on the External Review Team. I’ve appreciated the support resources provided for the Team. These make the process much easier and clearer. It’s like being given a map of the forest before walking through. Knowing the work that has gone into creating these over the past two years, along with all the other developments at the college, it’s inspiring to see that despite all the challenges going on, we are moving forward. 

“At the end of the day, we must go forward with hope and not backward by fear or division,” Jesse Jackson.