Β And so one chapter is ending and a new one is about to begin.

This week has felt like a transition week. With fewer participants signed up for some of the ‘beginner’ workshops and a shift in the demographic of those taking part – more staff and administrators, not only instructors – the sessions have taken on a different texture and feel.

As my comfort level has grown, with technology that I’d barely heard of a couple of months ago, I know it’s time to push myself forward once again into the unknown. The workshop on Wednesday on Kaltura was exciting, inspiring and also a little daunting. It’s not that I don’t have faith that I can learn this new tool; I’ve proved to myself enough times recently that I am indeed, “no longer a luddite.” It’s more wondering where to start. I’m glad we have ‘homework’ for the next session, as that will provide focus. That’s also a good point for me to remember when we begin planning the next iteration of workshops. The same goes with WordPress. I’ve been ‘playing around’ with the different functions and settings, and reading various blogs/watching videos on how it works / why someone would want to use it. I’m finding that not all blogs and videos are ‘equal’ and making as many notes on ‘what to do’ as on ‘what not to do.’

Identity is a curious beast. I am both teacher and student. Often times, the self of our imagination stays the same long after that self has changed, grown. I have always been ‘teacher’ and ‘student;’ but at the moment it feels different and I’ve not quite figured out why. As I write this, I wonder if part of the overwhelm of some instructors relates to no longer being the expert; knowing that overnight the role of instructor has changed and that some of their students might be more comfortable with the technology they need to use, than they are.

No gradual evolution, more total submersion into the digital world. It’s a painful rebirth for many.