I’m coming to the conclusion that working as an educational developer requires understanding the movement of tides. The last couple of weeks has been a king tide – a flurry of activity with workshops, orientations and the general ‘busy-ness’ that accompanies a new school year. This week was the low-tide, the brief lull before the waves once again begin crashing. I’ve taken the time to tidy up my inbox, organize files, delete my Kaltura ‘out-takes,’ copy my Blackboard Learn course (good to do and important to demonstrate good practice to colleagues), volunteer and help plan for a Brave Space Conversation on racism, work on a professional development proposal to get funding for an online conference in November (the POD), draft an outline for a proposal for an international opportunity next year, and most importantly, begun trawling through everything available on Program Review.

What strikes me is:

How quickly circumstances change – and we have to adapt. I know this and yet it can still feel surprising sometimes. I was supposed to attend POD in Seattle this year – my first time – and was more than disappointed that COVID put an end to that. But, now I hope to attend online. And learn. And connect in new ways that will inform not only the content but the form and focus of what I do. The program isn’t out yet but I’m looking forward to seeing what’s on it. 

That aspirations are important. We’ve no idea whether we’ll be able to (or even want to) travel next June, but I have to continue looking for opportunities to learn and develop my skills. Aspiration. That’s what education is about. 

Perspective is everything. I’m rereading stuff on Program Review that I read at the end of 2019, beginning of 2020 and going through my notes. And adding new ones. In the light of the last 5-6 months my thoughts have evolved. Our world has fundamentally changed. The foundation of higher education has been rocked (in some ways rightly so) and the future of many colleges is now completely different to what it was six months ago. 

Looking at the questions / responses for the self-study, I’m wondering the following:

The process of Program Review is, “a systemic evidence-based assessment of how well NIC programs are providing the best possible student learning experiences” (NIC PR Handbook, p. 4).

How do we make sense of this in the light of the seismic shift that’s going on? We’re not going back to ‘the way things’ were. I never thought we would; but I’m guessing some people hoped or still hope we will. I suppose a self-study that has already been written pre-COVID stands as a marker of a point in time. Whatever response of the external review, will be in the light of current circumstances, and what needs to be done to adjust to the changing landscape of HE – the action plan.

Rereading what were identified as the college’s unique strengths (e.g.,small class size, cheaper local living costs), they no longer apply in the same way in a world where so much of teaching has shifted online. On the other hand, does the challenge to offer supplementary activities (e.g., student life activities) become less of an impediment to marketing programs? I’m interested to see how the college will respond. 

As I read the self-study I kept thinking that was then, but what now? How will the Higher Education sector in general navigate the impact of the huge reduction in the number of international students? The need to engage more fully with existing and emerging technologies as they apply to teaching and learning? The demands of supporting both students and faculty as we all re-conceptualize education? Our perspective has to be forward looking; and yet I know there is likely to be some resistance. 

And how do I, as an educational developer, manage to support colleagues through the coming months in ways that:

• are supportive and realistic
  • honour where we were, the work people invested, and where we thought we were going
  • adjust to where the new tides are sweeping us. 

As always, when more information is needed, when I have more questions and few answers, with the only inevitability being change, “with empathy” comes to mind.