My Apple watch keeps telling me to breathe. And to stand up. I’m not sure I envisioned a world where electronics would be giving me orders. (I’m so glad the fridge doesn’t count how many times I open the door!). And I’m sure most of us didn’t envision a term like we’re having. Tensions are running high and I think we’re all feeling it, to varying degrees of course and in differing ways. And for different reasons. Although it ended up taking lots of my time and I was starting to feel stressed about writing the CiCan application for funding and meeting other deadlines, I enjoyed working on an initiative related to outward student mobility; not only because of the chance to get creative (tap into that blue sky thinking) but also because of the element of hope – that in the not so distant future students will be able to engage in all the learning and life experiences they’re seeking.

On Monday I was glad that an instructor reached out to me to discuss their submissions for Curriculum Committee – not only as that bodes well for shorter more productive meetings, but also because of the chance to engage with a colleague, be supportive and hopefully make a difference for students in terms of their experiences of courses that have gone through this process. We had an interesting discussion around assessment, which did not include exams. Having read in the media this week about some of the practices going on in terms of surveilling students, I have to wonder where the learning is in that. Apart from the attendant anxiety of being watched, there are true concerns of the unintended learning that might come out of such experiences. That they can’t be trusted? That it’s the ‘new normal’ to be scrutinized like that? Where does it stop? Since at the moment we have no choice but to engage in  teaching and learning online rather than face-to-face, surely that’s a great opportunity to rethink the ‘what’ and the ‘how’ of assessment? I can’t imagine what George Orwell would be thinking right now (beyond, “I warned you”).

I’ve been working away on stuff for the external review visit coming up in little over a week. It was useful taking the time to consider how I will facilitate the beginning of each meeting, and on going through / outlining ‘Tips and Procedures for Technology’ – both tasks have helped focus my mind on how the day will roll (knowing that one still has to be aware that the unexpected is always around the corner). It was definitely worth taking the time to do this.

Wednesday I signed up for my two PD opportunities – POD and ITLC Lilly. I’m looking forward to those in terms of the learning and also the networking. And much as it would have been lovely to go to Seattle for POD, I’m glad to still have the chance to attend but without the accompanying stress of travel and having to head into the angst currently circulating south of the border.

Friday was the first Curriculum Committee I’ve been to in about a year and also the first one where we’ve had new processes in place. It was definitely a swifter meeting. There’s still a lot more to be done in terms of streamlining processes, but it’s good that we’ve made a start.

As I head into next week, my focus is on the materials for Program Review and making sure we’re completely ready for the external review.