“When Sunshine comes” – sort of a double entendre; a nod to the fabulous weather this week and also the work of Chef Sunshine on the Craft Services course. The first part of the week was focused on finalizing the content / engagement on Substantials and Beverages, then I moved into proof reading and formatting for the next module – Presentation and Packaging Best Practices.

Logically I know that Presentation and Packaging are important; I would be naive to think I’m immune to the lure of marketing. Marketing matters and whether it is done well, can make or break a business. Reading this week’s content has been an eye-opener into the far reaching consequences of the pandemic. Every minute detail of our lives has been affected – face masks, distancing and take-away food. Screenshot of lesson goals

There are also implications for the environment. How do we balance health and safety (the need for individualized packaging) with doing all we can to save the environment (reduce consumption of plastics and one-time use items)? The learning for students goes beyond the functional – how to present a safe craft service table AND understand that we are all part of the global ecosystem. With my typical squirrel brain mind, this makes me think. about the new Build 2026 plan (https://www.engage.nic.bc.ca/). Number nine of the 21 Commitments of this plan is Environmental Stewardship and Climate Change (also referenced in the college President’s Town Hall discussion today). This isn’t only about how we operate as a College, it’s what we teach and the values we try to instill in our students. I know faculty sometimes find it hard to see how ‘their area’ lends itself to including intercultural, indigenous, environmental etc., considerations and this module is a great example of how these essential aspects of learning, beyond basic key course content, can be included and explored with students.

It occurred to me, watching the video I found (see below) How to: Craft Service (Setting Up Your Table) 

that this would be a great video to give students to watch. It would create an opportunity to consider the implications of the pandemic in terms of changes in the work of Craft Service AND the broader implications for students as global citizens (caring about the environment). For real engagement, students need the chance to personally invest in the learning opportunity in ways that are meaningful for them. Liesel and I discussed how to develop an activity for this, which Terri and I are finalizing.

On a WordPress related note, having switched most times back to ‘Classic Editor’ to create my posts, I committed myself this week to staying in Block Editor. I managed mostly until I got to adding the video.